Old 03-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from contains these words:

The current offer in the Independent has enouraged us to think about
growing a fig tree. The Independent offer seems way overpriced having
looked elsewhere, so - what's an easy to grow a fig tree and how/where
does one plant it?

Most commercial cultivars crop well if they like you.

We have a South facing wall with not much happening, it's variable
from shady to sunny. One site I read says keep the fig tree in a pot
as this encourages fruiting. Any/all advice welcome.

South-facing wall is good. The advice (IIRC by Bob Flowerdew) is to get
the stainless steel drum of a large washing machine or tumble-drier and
bury it. Fill it with soil and plant the tree in that. If you don't
restrict the roots you soon have a *VERY* large tree.

My Brown Turkey is having a long bath...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/