Old 04-07-2005, 04:30 AM
B & J

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message

Where do you live?

I'm in N.E. Oklahoma (yep, it's hot) but the spot we are concerned with
gets
some evening shade about 2:00 PM and the neighbors trees give it some
early
morning shade. I'm planning to have a credible nursery deliver me a big
tree, they will plant it and guarantee it. RM ~

It's not the heat I'm concerned about, it's the cold. I don't know
how cold hardy they are. They survive nicely up north in Dallas, so I
believe you are a full zone north of that. Keep it watered very well
and no matter what they say, you want them to remove the "burlap" and
all signs of any wire. If it's containerized, they tree should be
well hydrated IN the container before it is planted...especially at
this time of year. I know they guarantee it, but it would suck if you
lose a tree which is shading hostas during high summer.

We planted a 4' Chinese pistache four years ago, and it's doing well in zone
6, northern AR. It's already about 12' tall and has showed no sign of winter
damage. Before we purchased it to replace a huge oak that died, we did quite
a bit of research and found that it will do well through zone 5. The
suggestion was made to purchase the tree after frost in the fall to
determine fall leaf color, which varies from yellow through bright red and
all the shades between..

It is remarkably disease and insect free although it is susceptible to Texas
root rot.

JPS