Old 04-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:02:47 +0100, The Reids wrote:

Have a half dead spring flowering Pieris in a pot where we sit
in summer. Thinks, whats the point of an early flowering shrub
where we cant see it from house and where late frosts ruin it?
Right, out it goes. First thought was a nice big fuschia, a quick
google didnt help much and our favourite nursery had big non
hardy bushes or dwarf hardy ones. So am I missing something? Can
I get a largeish hardy fuschia to grow in a pot in south London?
If so anyone know a good variety?

The F. magellenica (sp?) can grow to about 4' or more. I've seen photos of
some as a hedge in Sweden.
They're only moderately hardy (for my conditions) - they'll unlikely stand
a couple of weeks of -19C in a pot (don't ask).

You can grow them from seed actually, they're quite easy. If you do it this
summer/autumn/winter in a greenhouse or indoors you can have some for next
spring. South London shouldn't be too much of a problem with being too
cold.

--
Tim C.