Old 04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Henry

Elphaba wrote:
I now have the nutrition problem solved with my two hybrid tea rose
bushes, a Blue Girl and a Memorial Day, now I have bug problems.

Remember that while your roses need nitrogen, it's easy to over do it.
If you over feed with N you may get lots of nice, lush growth but only
few flowers. As in so many things, moderation is the key.

My remaining insect issue is ants and another bug I can't seem to
identify. Since I started mixing Rose-Tone and Hu-More (both contain
manure) into the soil at the base of my roses, the ants have come
back. They also brought guests with them, some bugs that look similar
to ants but with clear wings the length of their bodies. They are no
bigger than your common black ant. It's hard to make out any further
details as I see them in the soil. Their movements are the most
visible when I disturb the soil.

Ants are attracted to a secretion from aphids and scale called honeydew.
The ants don't really do any harm to the plants. They can be a sign
that you have some other problem but you already know about the aphids.
If the aphids are now gone, the ants will probably not hang around too
long. As for the "winged ants", they are most likely winged ants
grin. Most ants you see are non-breeding females which are wingless.
Males and breeding females are winged.

http://www.dancinman.com/~sirius/mygarden/brownbud.jpg
http://www.dancinman.com/~sirius/mygarden/leafcurl.jpg
http://www.dancinman.com/~sirius/mygarden/leafcurl2.jpg

The browning in the flower bud doesn't really look like insect damage.
The leaves don't look too bad either. If you've made significant
changes in your feeding and spraying recently, I'd give the plant a
little longer before I started changing it again. No, the leaves are
not perfect but whatever the problem is, it certainly doesn't look
particularly serious. Also, it's probably not a good idea to base an
entire spray regimen on a single flower with problems. It could be as
simple as the bud getting too wet. So, my advice is give it some time
and see what happens.

--
Henry