Old 04-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

I never bothered. I guess my love of fre ranging poultry means I prefer to
free range my trees too lol.
In fact I look forward to mine growing really big. I bet it will look
amazing with those beautifully shaped, dark green leaves.

They do, and they get *HUGE*. Aged about nine and at boarding school, we
had one in the school grounds. I'd estimate it to have been a good
thirty feet high. I was the only anklebiter who scrumped them, and the
most surprising thing is that it was soon after the war when fruit was
scarce, and the big purple figs with the delicate pink insides weren't
picked for supplementing our pretty plain and rather meagre diet.

What with that and my fast growing walnut tree, I reckon I can never move
house as I want to see how spectacular they look in 10 years time.
Such a pity that there are no mature fruit trees of any kind in the garden
of my cottage which is approx' 140 years old.
If the original owners had only had some foresight and planted for future
occupants, my garden would be a lot nicer. Instead I moved in to a nasty
bare 3/4 acre field full of weeds.
I hope whomever is living here in 100 years time, will be grateful to the
anonymous planter of their fruiting walnut tree, peach tree, olive tree, fig
tree and apricot tree among others.

I hope so too: just be sure that the people who get their hands on it
later aren't likely to fall for a TV garden makeover...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/