Old 05-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Dave

Rick wrote:
Bill Platz wrote:
wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
[...] Something is biting the sides off the green tomatoes.
Wouldn't a deer take the whole tomato?

Maybe. Our deer like to sample things to be sure they like them.
We also caught squirrels nibbling on the tomatoes and one squirrel
was even hiding the half eaten tomatoes he had stolen on our bbq.

marcella

They seem to eat about half the tomato

They often eat the fruit for its water content. Has it been dry in
your area? If so, you can try placing a water bowl/pan away from the
garden. This often helps keep the tomatoes intact

It has been rather dry here. I can try keeping a bucket of water
outside the garden at night to see if that might have any effect.