Old 05-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Doug Freyburger

Elizabeth wrote:
wrote:

What are the largest fruit trees? We're replacing an Indian
Laurel Fig, which was about 30' X 30'. Are there any edible
trees that get
that big? We live in San Diego (Sunset Zone 24).

A tremendous selection of subtropical fruit trees exists for
cultivation in your coastal location. Springing to mind: citrus on
std rootdtocks (grapefuit, lemon, orange, some mandarins, pummelo
etc..).
also, avocado,cherimoya, white sapote, mango,litchi (slowly),
edible fig, macadamia, persimmon, carob, olive.

Avocado and carob trees are reasonably common on So Cal.
They get *huge* in comparison to most other types of
fruit trees. Maybe even too big to provide provacy.
Plant a row and eventually their foliage will be higher
than a person stands. The big trunks aren't much of a
visual screen.

Others which will get at least 15 - 20' include, loquat, pineapple
guava, tropical guava, carambola, semi-dwf citrus (including limes
and kumquats), jujube. Peaches, apples, nectarines, plums and
pears all have varieties that are suitable for your mild winters
too. Suggest visiting a local fruit tree nursery. Email me if you
need some suggestions.

Maybe a combination of the tall trees and some shorter
full ones? Pomegrante isn't very tall but it grows
wide and full almost bush-like. If some fruit with a
similar shape grows okay in the semi-shade under a
bigger tree type, it should work.

The nursery that I could recommend from when we lived in
Los Angeles is on Lankershem near the 170. Too far to go
for someone in San Diego.