Old 04-07-2005, 11:34 PM
Roy

It sounds like one or more of yuor plants pots are allowing the soil
inside to migrate out and make the water off color. I ran into that
last yar with some plants and on occasssion when a pot may get upset,
but using standard nursery pots with a good layer of filter batting
over the holes then the soil and plant and topped with small gravel
has worked extremely well in my wifes triple half barrel setup in
keeping the water gin clear.....

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 23:16:21 +0100, "2pods" wrote:

===I thought a half barrel with plants would go well with our two raised ponds
===and mini barrel.
===
===Got it home, rinsed it, lined it, filled it with water, installed pygmy
===water lily, umbrella palm, and Pickeral weed all in aquatic plant pots with
===aquatic compost, and small Hozelok pump (all same as the mini-barrel which
===is something like a quarter barrel).
===
===All OK, then 3 days later there is foam and the water seems very cloudy and
===grey-ish.
===I've been cleaning the pomp sponge daily, but don't know what's happening as
===the mini barrel was fine from the start.
===
===Peter
===

"The original frugal ponder"