Old 04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Kay

In article , writes
The current offer in the Independent has enouraged us to think about
growing a fig tree. The Independent offer seems way overpriced having
looked elsewhere, so - what's an easy to grow a fig tree and how/where
does one plant it?

Look at Reads nursery web site - they have a large number of different
varieties of fig.

Commonly grown is Brown Turkey, which will crop outdoors here and is a
nice rich taste, but it may not be the best.

We have a South facing wall with not much happening, it's variable
from shady to sunny. One site I read says keep the fig tree in a pot
as this encourages fruiting. Any/all advice welcome.

Figs are used to growing in fairly poor soil. In rich moist soil they
will flourish and grow lots of big green leaves, and feel very little
pressure to reproduce themselves by fruiting. Hence the advice to
restrict the root run, either by growing in a pot or in a large sunken
container.

--
Kay