Old 05-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Roy

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 21:41:37 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

snip

=== I'd be surprised if most people
===on here even have the all kits they should, let alone use them often enough
===to run out. ;o) ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

snip

Ain't that the truth......I don't normally test my pond as there is
not much I could afford to do to it to make a chancge anyhow, but a
lot of times I am curious on its parameters after certain happenings
etc, like hurricanes, heavt down pours, no rain etc etc....
My main use of the kits is for my QT (Not used all that often) and
numerous holding tanks and aquarium in the house.......

A few days ago I ran into a couple in Petco, deeply involved in
studying all the medications in the pond fish section........We got to
talking and it turned out they live in the high rent district in
town......$500,000 is a cheap house there. They have a koi pond that
they have been putting fish into for a few months now. Their fish are
not doing well at all, sores etc on them, and I asked what their water
parameters were. They did not have a clue.........Did not even have a
test kit.........yet they were pround to point out that they made a
speial trip to various Koi breeders in Tennesee and Florida etc and
bought some magnificent koi.......but still lacked owning a test
kit.......so afater I mentioned they really needed to know their
parameters, the husband picked up a test kit (all in one strips), and
the wife picked up a reagent type....to which hubby replied, nope,
well get this one it does it all and its a lot cheaper........and does
it all........Could not believe my eyes....high bucks house, large
formal pond, bigbucks fish, and too cheap to buy a decent test
kit.......Odds are it will be used a time or two and what they will
have to do to remedy things wiill cut into their social life too much
and the fish will be in pityfull condition even longer......They also
picked up about one of evey kind of medication on the shelf, just in
case..........Guess its easier to throw money at the fish to cure them
than set down and do it right, with a little time invested.

"The original frugal ponder"