Old 05-07-2005, 01:02 PM
JW

Chris Hogg wrote:

In case anyone else gets this...

I've just had a message purporting to come from my ISP (Virgin.net),
saying that a lot of spam has been coming from my e-mail address, and
suggesting that my computer had become infected by a trojan, and that
I should follow the instructions in the attachment.

This surprised me a little, as I have efficient and reputable
anti-virus etc. software. When I downloaded the message (I read it
first through Mailwasher), my a-v software detected a virus in the
attachment and deleted it.

So the whole thing was a hoax and a means of spreading its own virus.
You have been warned!

BTW, it says on Virgin's website that they never send attachments to
e-mails.

Just another standard 'forged' email address by a virus,

Tips.. (just a reminder)

Use an alternative to Outlook Express, many viruses use OE's address
book to propagate.

Keep your AV software up to date

Use expirable or short life email addresses for signups & forums, such
as those from spamgourmet.com & spamhole.com

Use plain text, not HTML

Use BCC instead of CC where appropriate. Don't include everyones email
address on forwards (unless relevent)

Use something other than Windows

JimW
11 years of virus free computing :-D