Old 05-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Anthony A.

Default Tomatoes on Long Island, NY

Greetings from Zone 6!
This year is the first year i have lived in a house, rather than an
apartment, and so i thought I'd try my hand at gardening.

I'm growing a few varieties of tomato - Big Beef, Brandywine, Early
Girl.....

Anyway, these are all planted in 1 long, narrow bed along the side of
my house. This bed gets morning sun, but a large tree blocks some of
the light, so that as one travels along the row, the plants get
progressively less sun. As you might anticipate, my plants are showing
a dose-resposne in growth - the ones on the sunnier side are thriving -
the big beef on this end are up to 5 feet, and flowering/fruiting
heavily. The plants on the least sunny end are somewhat stunted looking
- a foot or 2 in hight, but they are showing some flowers.

My question is: will the smaller plants eventually bear much fruit?
Are the just lagging behind, and developing more slowly than their
sunny counterparts, or will they stay small and produce smaller yields?

Thanks in advance for any insight.