Old 05-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Derek Broughton

hornmeister2000 wrote:

I have a problem in my pond of surface weed. I believe it's called
Canadian Duckweed, but I may be mistaken.

"Canadian Pondweed" (I hate that name) is a rooted plant (elodea).

"Duckweed" is invasive but non-hazardous.

Basically, it's lots of
little green bits and 2-3mm across covering the pond. I keep pulling it
out but it grows back very quickly. Last night I found that one of our
goldfish had died, and the other was eating the weed then spitting it
out, rather than finding the fishfood.

Probably because he preferred it to the fish food. If the goldfish aren't
controlling the duckweed, cut back on the fish food. Goldfish (and many
kinds of fish) often spit out their food, it's just part of the browsing
process.
--
derek