Old 06-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Suzy O

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Himanshu said:

Dandelions are almost all gone (I kept digging them out by their roots
as I saw them), but right now there are two or three types of weeds that
I haven't controlled - one is clover (white flowers are abundant), and
the others I'm not sure what they are.

When mowing, my preference is to mulch, and I have been doing that. My
question is if there are so many weeds in the lawn, is it a bad idea to
mulch? Should I collect clippings instead of mulching?

Go ahead and mulch. The soil is full of weed seeds already. Some (likely
under-ripe) clover seeds going down to join them won't matter in the
long run. Closing in the grass canopy and preventing them from sprouting
is the long-term solution.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Mulching is best and saves on fertilizer. As far as weeds gone to seed,
most are either not ripe enough to grow or can be controlled with a
pre-emergent next spring.

Personally, I wouldn't try to eliminate the clover. Althought it fits the
broad definition of a weed, "a plant growing where you don't want it," many
find it desirable. It has the ability to pull nitrogen from the atmosphere
down to the soil where it can be used -- again, less fertilizing.

Suzy O