Old 06-07-2005, 03:53 AM
DigitalVinyl

"Suzy O" wrote:

I suspect it's a factor of the droughty conditions in that BER is a problem
with calcium uptake caused by fluctuations in water available. The maters
are okay to eat, tho, just cut off the yucky part.

As far as watering every day, it's better to drench the soil super deep once
or twice a week, depending on the temps.

On hot days, that would not cut it. Smaller the pot, bigger the plant,
hotter the weather you have to increase watering. 5" pots or less can
need watering twice a day at least on the hot sunny spots.

The good rule of thumb is check to first kncukle. If you don't hit
moisture water, and water deeply(assuming you have good
drainage-otherwise you risk swamping). If you don't water deeply you
may develop a shallow root syttem which gets weak and requires more
frequent watering.

The only problem with that rule is pots ALSO dry out from the sides
in. Especially the side facing sun. Roots tend to collect on the outer
sides of the pot, so the warmth and dryness at the root zone makes
some plants unhappy campers.

Good luck!

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin, where we finally got some rain this week!!!!!

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
y.net...
I'm growing 6 tomatoes in containers of different varieties. Yesterday I
noticed that on one plant, one of the set tomatoes has blossom end rot.
After all the work I put into these tomatoes to get them planted I was
pretty depressed about this. Between this and the severe drought we're
having in Chicago that requires me to water everything every day it
almost makes me want to just give up gardening. Anyway, would it be
prudent if I just pick the fruit that has blossom end rot so the plant
doesn't waste any more energy growing that one?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph