Old 05-11-2002, 07:24 PM
Alan Gould

Default Out damn weed !

In article , Terry
Lynton writes
Help please, I have been clearing out a weed strewn and neglected garden of
it's many uninvited vistors and I am meeting with reasonable success. but.
for one type of unmentionable. I have tried every thing that I can think of
but to no avail. it is of this description: A marble to small chesnut sized
bulb that tends
to grow in clusters that produces a long/tall thin green spear.
It has taken over the garden and will not die under any circumstances.
So someone please step forward and give me your advice.

One of the things it could be is Wild Garlic alias Ramsoms - Allium
ursinum. The leaves and bulbs carry a garlic smell and they can be used
much like chives. The plants favours damp conditions to grow in, though
it will appear in drier gardens too. It is to some extent a weed of
neglect, so if you carry out your cultivation and growing programme, you
will find that it gives way to the competition. For quicker results,
pick all the bulbs out of any area you particularly want cleared.
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.