Old 06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
liz49

Default bee balm woes

I have several bee balm plants that started the season quite vigorously
(I bought them in pots from the plant nursery). I've avoided
fertilizing them at all (chemcial or organic), since I know that can
produce lots of leaves, but no flowers. They began showing their buds
pretty prominently a few weeks ago, but as the buds are beginning to
open, I'm not getting much of a show. The flowers seem a bit anemic
(barely opening, not producing much color) and the color (I planted
Marshall's Delight and Blue Stocking) is very, very pale, hardly
noticeable. I am having a little trouble with powdery mildew, but I
know from reading these boards that that's because I let them get too
dried out. Could letting them get dried out and/or the powdery midlew
be effecting the flowering?