Old 06-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Victoria Clare

Malcolm wrote in
:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Malcolm wrote:

We have a wild honeysuckle growing in a tub, c.14 inches across and

18
inches deep, which climbs up a trellis to about 12 feet high each

year.
This year, it grew as vigorously as usual and was smothered in

blossom
then, about three weeks ago, we noticed the leaves were turning brown
even though the flowers, initially, didn't seem to be affected.

Don't you believe it. There are lots of things that affect woody
plants while leaving others unaffected. My bet would be on some
'fungal' infection (equally probably a slime mould, bacterium or
other unicellular organism),

The above is a tad more scientific than waving my hands and calling
it the result of the amount of miasma that we have had this year,
but not a lot.

I haven't uprooted the plant yet, but was going to do so and check the
roots, though as you say it might not tell me much.

I saw a similar thing happen last year in what appeared to be a
completely healthy young apricot tree.

I also lost a kiwi fruit - I didn't think there was anything that
killed those!

Sometimes they just ups and dies on you :-(

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall