Old 06-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Travis

FardinA wrote:
Hi,
I have planted three trees (CrabApple, Amor Cherry). These trees
were in burlap when I received them. I followed what my local tree
nursery person suggested. I have spread mulch around the trees.
However, i am not sure if that's a good thing to do for young
trees. I have heard that putting mulch on newly planted trees
causes harm for the tree. On the other hand, there is an opposite
idea that mulching is a good idea for newly planted trees. Can you
share your experinece with me about mulching the newly planted
trees?
Another questioon I have is about fertilizing these trees. i have
applied the growth booster fetrtilizer. I mixed some of the powdery
stuff into water, and spread it around trees. Is this enough for
this year for my trees, or should I repeat the fertilizing process?
If you have any other suggestion on how to take care of newly
planted trees, please let me know.

thanks

Mulching trees is a good thing. It helps to moderate the temperature of
the soil and helps retain moisture. Do not let the mulch touch the
trunk. They may need supplemental watering for the first few years
depending on your local weather conditions.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5