Old 06-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Bourne Identity

On 6 Jul 2005 13:43:33 -0700, wrote:

I have some shrubs I need to kill that are along a lake shore. I
cannot use any chemicals--natural or otherwise. I also won't be able
to pull the shrubs out. Their roots are too strong and the terrain
would make it impractical. If I cut them back, they just sprout right
back up.

Are there any ways I can encourage these shrubs to die? Perhaps by
cutting them back a different way? Scraping some bark off? Covering
them up? I'd be interested in hearing any techniques you think may
work.

Cut them to the ground, or as close as possible. Cover them with a
foot of mulch. Every time a shoot comes up, IMMEDIATELY cut it off.
If you do this over and over the plant will eventually die from
starvation. It needs photosynthesis to live, and if you remove all
foliage it cannot actuate that process.

Victoria