Old 06-07-2005, 10:34 PM
David Ross

Bourne Identity wrote:

On 5 Jul 2005 16:46:14 -0700, wrote:

I have a young Meyer lemon tree that I planted in a large pot on my
patio this past spring. It gets flowers, but the little mini-lemons
fall off before long, never getting even close to full size. What
causes the lemons to fall off and how can I remedy the situation?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Possible lack of pollination?

Actually, citrus does not require pollination to set fruit. Only
in commercial orchards do they encourage bees, in order to increase
the size of the crop. In a home garden, you should get sufficient
fruit without worrying about pollination.

Citrus is self-thinning. Fruit falls off if more is started than
the tree can support. Other causes of fruit-drop include improper
watering (too much or too little), poor drainage, lack of zinc, and
insect damage (especially spider mites, which are often too tiny to
see).

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/