Old 06-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "jw 111" contains these words:

Hi, we have a small orange tree about 16" (inches) high above the soil
level in a pot 8" high and 8" in diameter. it's about three years old.

it stands just inside some french widows in a south facing location.
recently many leaves have gone brown and dry at the tips for about 0.25
inches long on the leaf and then there is a part of the leaf next to that
has turned yellow. the yellow part is also about 0.25 inches in length.

the pot is of the self-watering kind. that is it has a reservoir of water
below a grill. above the grill is the soil. so the plant is watered by the
water evaporating on to the soil above.

Not ideal. The roots will grow through and into the water, and citrus
trees don't like that. Why they do it is anyone's guess.

The best method seems to be to water it well and allow it almost to dry
out, then water it again.

i have put some soluable photogen feed into the water recently, but only
after the leaves started drying and turning yellow.

? Phostrogen? That won't evaporate with the water, it'll just remain in
the reservoir. I'd make sure there are worms in the soil and work a
handful of bonemeal or hoof and horn into the surface, letting the worms
gradually take it down.

does this sound simply like a short of feed problem please? or might it be
something else.

Something else. Though what, I wouldn't like to say.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/