Old 07-07-2005, 04:19 AM
Alan Walker

Although I am a member of BBG and get their nice series
of All-Region Guides, which are generally well produced and
informative publications, I can't really recommend the BBG bonsai
books to beginners due to wrong information. For example, the
most recently published Pruning Trees, Shrubs and Vines booklet
contains a bit of misinformation included in the book on page 88
at the beginning of the chapter titled, Special Cases: Pruning
for Particular Purposes. The chapter opens with a statement that
bonsai "is usually an indoor horticultural sport". We know that
this is simply not true, and it reinforces a commonly held
misunderstanding of bonsai and a reason for many misadventures in
bonsai. Of course, while some woody tropical plants adapt pretty
well to indoor conditions, most bonsai are grown outdoors most of
the time.
I also disagree with lumping Naka's Bonsai Techniques I
and II together as unsuitable for beginners. While BT II was
written for intermediate and advanced bonsai practitioners, BT I
is an excellent beginner's resource in my opinion. Of course, I
remember when it was a welcome new resource in a time when there
were few of any caliber from which to choose. And it remains head
and shoulders above the likes of the BBG books.
Alan Walker

From: Kitsune Miko
The original poster wanted info on how to do a forest
planting. I recommedned Naka for that. You are right
that it is not a basic book. In addition to reading
on plant care I feel one should "become aquainted"
wilth plant material in your care. I keep new to me
plants for 6 months to a year before I work on them.

I remember donating a plant for our club plant sale.
The woman who bought my contirbution was really
pleased with it, but ****ed that it died after she put
it onto a different pot (within a month of peruchase,
within 3 months of the original repotting). I told
her it was her responsibility, she should have waited
to transplant it.

Kits

--- "Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:
I don't think Bonsai Techniques I & II by John Naka are
books for beginners.
I think beginners need more guidance in basic plant care.
The articles at www.evergreengardenworks.com are good as are the
articles in the "knowledge base" of the IBC website. (see below)
If a book is desired visit the library or book store and
look for a book that includes chapters on basic plant care, in
containers, such as watering, fertilizer, etc.
Recently a post requested information on starting a
forest from some collected, seedling maples. This person's
biggest problem for now will be keeping the seedlings alive and
since they were planted in a community pot, separating them into
individual pots to grow, rather than arranging a forest.
Although the poster probably didn't want to read the
above sentence, they need to realize that growing the plants
comes first, creating the forest comes second.
I know I think like the teacher I am but I think basic
addition and subtraction should be mastered before the student
tries Algebra.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++