Old 07-07-2005, 04:33 AM
MikeTillieSmith

Tomatoes...It been very hot in texas this year. I had a great crop of
tomatoes this year. This is something you might try, when the vine is
starting to brown take your hole and make a trench long enough to lay the
tomatoe vine down into it and cover it up with top soil, but leaving about 6
to 8 inches of the top sticking up and stake it. A new crop will start up
again.....I had great luck with this. Something else that i came up with
that works great.. I when down to wal-mart and brought one of those paper
shreeder. You know all that junk mail you get and newspapers, i shreed it
up and when i have enough i put it into a large bucket and add a very
little fertilizer to it and let it set for about a week. Then i sprayed it
into my garden and it works great...... Nick Apotolakis"
wrote in message
Sue wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:16:20 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

Around here, in South Carolina, it gets very, very hot in July
and August, and most tomatoes stop producing. If I can keep the
plants going until September, I usually see a second flush of
tomatoes, With a late frost, I can get a decent second crop.

Or, I *used* to see that. Since the War of the spit!Thrips
began, I'm lucky to see tomatoes at all. I have, however, removed
their reservoir, the place they gathered strength while waiting
for me to set out my purty lettle tomato plants. I have removed
all three of the mulberryless mulberry trees, and am diligently
destroying all signs of sproutlets from the roots. Maybe, maybe
this year, I'll have fall tomatoes.

Anyway, I would suggest looking into varieties that were bred to
produce in the heat.

Next year. My favorites are the Sweet 100s (cherry type). They seem
to do OK in the heat. I haven't had enough regular sized ones in the
last couple of years to can.
Sue

Penelope

hello,

i had one similar problem recently . the tomato plants were very big and
the tomato production quite low. one tomato in about 12 plants.
what i did was to prune the plants enough to increase the sun,air,
insect penetration in the plants and push them from leaf and stem
production to fruit production.

all these happened two weeks ago. now each plant has 5 or more fruits
without any other interference from me. since i live in Crete Greece our
days are quite hot and the plants dont seem to mind. when we have only
25 degrees of celsius it is a cool day.

i hope this helps a bit

Nick Apostolakis
e-mail: