Old 07-07-2005, 12:20 PM
David Bockman

"Jean B." wrote in :

I have some trees with very prominent roots, which are getting battered
by the folks who mow the lawn. I know, from reading here that I can't
just pile mulch or dirt on top of them, but can I build up the area
between them a bit to lessen the impact of the mowers? These areas seem
to have become more sunken over the years.

Thanks,

Hi Jean,

My experience has been it's a perpetual battle. Trees such as silver maple
and red oak seem to love to surface large buttressing roots everywhere.
Unless the surfacing is the result of a drastic and quick loss of topsoil
(through flooding, for example) the most you can do is add a couple of
inches of fluffy compost and overseed, or plant in groundcover so that the
turf guys won't mow there.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums