Old 07-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Hal

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:06:12 -0600, "G & K Meyer"
wrote:

Checked ph and it is way up, so added some ph reducer. Also checked the
Nitrate, Ammonia and nitrite they are all very low.
What causes the ph to rise? And how should I control it?

pH of 6 to 9 is acceptable to keep fish. pH is not a thing, but a
relationship of hydrogen ions that is used to determine the acidity of
the water. It will vary overnight because the plants produce carbon
dioxide and use oxygen during the hours of darkness. The carbon
dioxide produces carbonic acid in the water and the pH drops slightly.
Mine varies about .4 from a pH of 7.8 early morning to 8.2 later in
the day. The fish accept this as normal.

pH reducers are acids that directly effect/reduce the KH (carbonate
hardness/total alkalinity), which stabilizes the pH. Before adding
these acids it is a good idea to check the KH.

The best temporary control for pH is baking soda, or bicarbonate of
soda. A more lasting remedy would be calcium carbonate. I use
ground garden limestone which stops dissolving at about a pH of 7.8
and won't raise the pH higher. I think sea shells stop at about the
same pH, but ground garden limestone is available at local garden
centers.

Regards,

Hal