Old 07-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Kathy

Sometimes in August a day's picking will yield a handful of beans, a small
pepper, a small zucchini, one tomato, and such - not enough of anything for
a meal. So I steam the mixture together with a little onion (long cooking
veggies go into the pot first, short cooking ones later) and dress with
olive oil, salt, and basil. That's good. When there are lots of zucchinis, I
like them stir fried and dressed with a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil.

I used to plant zucchinis in the spring, but discovered that it works better
for us to plant them in July. The squash borers have gone by then, and the
peas and lettuces are just finishing up and ready to give up their places in
our small garden. An early July planting yields in mid-August, which gives
us a zucchini harvest for 4-6 weeks. After that we're about ready to give up
eating zucchinis anyway.