Old 07-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Victoria Clare

Default gardeners from hell

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

In article ,
DaveDay34 wrote:
Other than the man shot dead for putting some clematis clippings in
the wrong place, I think that the council contractors who carried out
work (weeding and removal of some shrubs) that led to a house needing
to be demolished had to be the worst story on the whole programme.

How on earth did they achieve that? Pull out a mature laurel from
next to a 17th century cottage with a mechanical digger? I can't
think of much else that could do the job.

Pretty much that, I think - though the house wasn't that old (30's at a
guess?). Apparently they used a very big mechanical digger right next to
the foundations, where there were a lot of mature shrubs. There was a shot
of a trench which looked like it was right next to the house wall.

But it also said that the council had not admited liability, and it did
seem a bit odd that a house of that age would collapse just because of
digging next to the foundations.

It was not what you'd call a balanced program, so there may already have
been some problem that the diggers made worse.

Victoria