Old 07-07-2005, 09:51 PM
GK

Pauline:

Can the trees stand that much light? For some reason, I thought the
plants might need darkness, thinking, like animals, they rest. But I
suppose that doesn't make sense.

I've never used High Intensity Lights. Would I just ask for them at
Home Depot or Menards, or should I look for them at a garden specialty
store? Do you have a URL where I could price them online?

Thank you for your reply.

Gary Kopycinski
Chicago, IL
Zone 5

Pauline Muth wrote:
GK
I grew some of my bonsai in my science classroom for many years.
The key factor was light. I set up light that I turned on when I left my
classroom
around 4:30 or 5 PM and turned them off at 7 AM. Some of the lights were
standard grow lights but the best were High Intensity Lights. The intensity
of
these lights grew great bonsai but are harmful when looked into hence using
them
overnight instead of during the day. The HIL also are warm and protect the
bonsai
overnight.
When using light racks with normal fluorescent lights, I dropped a plastic
drop cloth over the
whole rack for weekends...this kept up the humidity and got the trees
through the weekend
without water for two days.
Here is a list of some of the trees that worked best for me under these
conditions.
Note that I always took them home for spring and put them outside once frost
passed...June here.
Also either I or a friendly
maintenance person watered them during school breaks.
Serissa
Ficus
Bucida
Carissa
Hedera
Boxwood
Ulmus
Gardenia

Have fun with them...my students loved them...I always put one on my desk
each day.
Pauline Muth
Zone 4