Old 07-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Travis

Jean B. wrote:
Travis wrote:

I have a book called "Cuttings through the Year" published by The
Arboretum Foundation Washington Park Arboretum. It talks about
growing cuttings in flats and when you transplant from the flat
to individual pots the roots should be trimmed to the drip line
to encourage feeder roots and again when the cutting is put in
its final growing spot. The book says cuttings may take from 3
weeks to over a month to root. Soft wood cuttings (current years
growth) are suggested. It also suggests the cuttings be taken in
June or July but that is for the PNW.

It seems to me that you need a fairly deep vessel to begin with,
but I must be wrong. I guess I shouldn't get my hope up. I took
this cutting in June, and it was this year's growth....

The rooting medium need only be 4" deep and the cutting should not be
over 4". None of the leaves should touch the medium. Rooting hormone
may help. Since Maples are hardwood "heel cuttings are especially
desirable for material that is difficult to propagate and for hardwood
cuttings."

Maybe Paghat will chime in here. I have never tried to propagate any
trees but bought the book for reference and futere use.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5