Old 08-07-2005, 04:30 AM
Bourne Identity

Central Texas HAS two short growing season, as opposed to one long
season up north. I'm only refering to vegetables.

What I do for my heirloom tomatoes is, about now when the spider mites
are starting to show stippling, I harvest what is ripe or near ripe.
I prune out all dead, or crossing vines and any yellow or mite damaged
foliage. I spray the undersides of the leaves EVERY DAY with a really
good hard spray from my hose and I make sure I get every leaf.

I did this last week. When I do this, I also fertilize the plants. I
am already seeing new growth on both tomatoes I have planted in tubs
of compost. Next week, I will set out new plants, but continue to
water and fertilize the ones I have. These will be my greenhouse
tomatoes for the winter months.

I hope you got some of the rain we had tonight. It was getting
ridiculously dry.

Victoria by the Dell Diamond

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:00:04 GMT, "Jim Marrs"
wrote:

I will share your pain. I have not been able to completely defeat these red
mites. The total organic crowd claims seeweed and fish emulsion spray will
do the job. I tried it for several weeks with little or no success. I have
used kelthane and malathion too the point I was afraid to eat any of the
tomatoes. I just have about accepted the fact that I am only going to get a
short growing season. I always plant a fall crop and do not usually have a
bad mite problem. I live in central Texas.

Good Luck
and Have Fun

Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been battling red spider mites on my tomato plants for about 15
years. And, so far, it's been: me - zip; red spider mites - 15. I've
tried everything: Kelthane, hard water sprays, detergent, malathion,
Neems, Sevin, flea & tick spray . . . you name it. Nothing has been
successful. Whatever anyone has suggested, I've tried. I live in
Oklahoma -- hot, dry summers. So, does anyone have a suggestion? I'll
try anything.

Arthur Bay