Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Emrys Davies

"Steve Topp" wrote in message
Hi
I am growing my first cucumber in the greenhouse and I have

started
getting some problems that I could use some help with.
The main thing is that the leaves are starting to turn yellow, it
started at the bottom and it is now working its way up the whole

plant.
The second thing is leaf curl that I think is been caused by aphids

this
is affecting the leaves at the top of the plant, can I spray cucumbers
to get rid of these pests.

If they are aphids you will be able to see them. Remove a curled leaf
and inspect it closely to see if there are any visible aphids.

A more probable cause is the red spider mite
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/rsm.htm which cannot be seen by the naked
eye. Well, I can't see them.

This mite dislikes damp and humid conditions and thrives in dry
conditions.

First of all remove and safely discard the yellow and damaged leaves and
if you conclude that you have red spider spray each remaining leaf with
a fine spray a few times a day and cause humidity by splashing water on
the greenhouse path.

Regards,
Emrys Daves.