Old 08-07-2005, 02:19 PM
pammyT

purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:23:06 +0100, "datsy"
wrote:

Three neighbouring (front) garden lawns are full of violet coloured
blossom
at the moment. One lawn is neglected and hardly ever mown, the other

two
are
close mown regularly. I would say the density of the plant is, if
anything,
greater in the close mown lawns, although the individual plants, of
course,
are bigger in the neglected lawn. I don't think this particular weed is

violet, however, it looks more like campanula glomerata (clustered
bellflower). And those neighbours who use 'weed and feed' don't have

any
in
their lawns.

While we're on the subject of violet/purple-coloured flowers in lawns,

I've
got another one: it has just started flowering, slightly fleshy, rounded
leaves and a short "loo-brush-shaped" head. Any ideas?

This first comes to mind.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/e..._selfheal.html

That's pretty. I think I have some of that growing. I'm one of those odd
gardeners who will keep pretty weeds and don't actually like plain boring
green shaved lawns, neat edges,and flowers planted by the book. If I have a
space I plant summat irregardless of the size, shape etc. My flower garden
is a wild jumble of colours, shapes, sizes etc and I love the fact that it
looks different from different angles.