Old 08-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Bourne Identity

For some reason, tomatoes have been a great challenge for me in south
central Texas. They are so prone to spider mites due to the elevated
night temperatures and the lack of adequate rain. Watering with
treated water is really so much different than rain water. The main
thing I did differently this year was to use 30 gallon tubs and
planted directly in 2 parts compost to 1 part potting mix. The other
thing I did was to stake them in four places. These are determinate
tomatoes, but they still get gangly. I paid attention to moisture
daily and kept them evently watered. Only twice did they wilt from
heat, and that was during the vast non-transition we went through from
spring to summer. I also added minerals to the potting mix: soft
rock phosphate, seaweed meal for potassium and it also provides
nitrogen. I used heirloom, non-potato leaf varieties and have had
success.

So, you may be doing all the right things, but I should add that daily
when I water, I spray a hard spray under the foliage to wash off the
mites. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Victoria

On 8 Jul 2005 06:40:40 -0700, "
wrote:

Victoria, I suspect you are on to something. My method is to stick the
plants in the ground and water them whenever I think they're too dry.
I really don't fertilize them -- except I had a load of fresh dirt
spread over my garden, and I had the soil checked and the report was
good. I was supposed to spread 3 pounds of nitrogen for 100 sq. ft.
once per month.

I suppose that's not right, right? My other vegetables are doing fine
-- corn, squash, cucumbers, egg plant, bell peppers, potatoes, sweet
potatoes, okra, asparagus, green beans, cabbage -- all did or doing
quite fine.

Arthur Bay