Old 08-07-2005, 04:50 PM
RichToyBox

KH is the same as alkalinity. By the way, is your water from a well? Many
wells have acid water with high alkalinity, but high in CO2, which is boiled
out by water falls, air stones, etc. If well water, put some of the water
in a bucket, aerate for 24 hours and check pH. It should rise
significantly.
--
RichToyBox

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message

I should add that our pond is on a every third day fill cycle, it gets new
water with I tested and is a very low ph so that should bring it down
every
third day right?
Also What is this KH ? What does it do?
The strips I have test for Hardness, Chlorine, Bromine, ph, Alkalinity and
Stabilizer.
I can start to check AM and PM will it matter when, like if the sun is
on the pond or how late in the evening, also like I mentioned with my pond
filling
today will that make a difference?
It has been in the 90's for awhile here could temp have anything to do
with ph ?
Thanks again, this group is great.

pond 4 years old at least. ph out of tap is 6.3. fish about a dozen.
fish about as old as pond with some new off spring. Fish seem to be
fine.
but plants not doing so good.

Strips are only good to show a problem, and thus get the big guns out,
the
liquid test kits. I highly recommend Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, if buying
in
local store, check the lot no. for the date of manufacture.

Since your strip only goes to 8.4 you don't know if your pond is 8.4 or
much higher. Get a wide range pH testor that goes to at least 9.0 and get
KH tester.... in the meantime, gives us your pH in the AM and PM. If it
is
swinging widely, that is more reason to be concerned.

The only acceptable numbers for ammonia & nitrite are zeros. Anything
else
treat them. Ammonia with an ammonia locking (chloramine remover) chemical
and salt for nitrite. ~ jan