Old 08-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from contains these words:

Malva sylvestris or some other species? Round this neck of the woods
Malva sylvestris is rose-flowered, not violet-flowered.

Well the stuff we call mallow is most certainly violet, quite a pale
violet admittedly.

Or do you mean pale magenta, or even mauve by any chance? Pale violet is blue

BTW, Malva sylvestris is said to be Glyphosate-resistant.

It's also a bit big/upright for growing in lawns. Malva pucilla or M.
neglecta, maybe.

That doesn't surprise me, it's certainly very difficult to get rid of.
It manages to survive on the lawn lying flat and at the other extreme
will grow into quite a sizeable bush. It seems to me that it's much
commoner nowadays than it used to be.

We have white ones growing locally.

I suppose the plant couldn't be one of the greaniums? G. pratense
perhaps? Those flowers might qualify for pale violet.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/