Old 09-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Zarch said:

Steveo Wrote:
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:-
(I find it irritating that
they generally offer this service in the spring, when I would prefer
to have it done in the fall.)
-
We do it till the snow flies here in Ohio. I like a fall aeration
better,

How far apart (distance) do you recommend using the hollow tine tool?
every ft maybe? Are the plug gaps big enough to put anything down to
help drainage etc? sand maybe? Will this be of any help or a
hinderance?

How far apart are the tines on the tool? Suggest you plan to repeat
in a grid fashion over the compacted area based on that dimension.
Normally nothing is put down after core aerating for private lawns.
In your case, assuming you do go over the compacted areas right now,
I'd suggest adding some compost (or a mix of compost and sand, if
your soil is heavy clay).

How regular could/should you aereate? especially the problem area?
Ideally i would like to do it straight it away to help with the
immediate problem. Could i then give it another go at the backend of
the year as Steveo suggests?

I'd do it now in the problem area and have the whole lawn done in the
fall (best if you can hire power core aeration done rather than go over
it all by hand).
--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)