Old 09-07-2005, 01:58 PM
J Fortuna

Default repotting paphs (and Catts)

I am not intending to repot any of my paphs yet, but I am looking for info
for the futu

I just read somewhere that Paphs should be repotted in the spring when most
root growth happens. And that the repotted Paph should be left dry for a
week or two after repotting.

My question: Does this mean that one should repot the Paph into dry medium,
and not water it during repotting, but wait a week before watering? Or does
it mean that one should water the Paph during repotting, but then instead of
watering it at the same time as usual, when it approaches dryness, wait
another week or so beyond that?

While we are on the subject of repotting:

I once heard that repotting a Catt at the wrong time of year will kill it --
that one absolutely needs to wait for the time when there is the most root
growth. Is this true? Is it true for all Catt-like hybrids (Slc, Blc, etc),
and for both the large and the mini-Catts? How can one tell there is lots of
new root growth if the Catt in question does not have aerial roots and the
pot is not transparent? Does one just assume that it's growing the most
roots during spring time? Any other advice on repotting Catts safely? I am
so used by now to repotting Phals at any odd time that the notion that
repotting could kill an orchid seems scary to me.

By the way, to those of you who have long memories, yes, I do repot my
orchids myself now -- though I still maintain that the repotting services
provided by the plant nursery nearby were a good deal, but repotting is not
nearly so hard as it seemed to me after that first time I had done it
myself. And I admit, that there is a certain joy in watching a plant that
was not doing well before, start perking back up after one has repotted it
oneself.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Joanna