Old 09-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Gibson wrote:

Would anyone be able to assist me in a problem I have with Blackbirds
pecking at our lawn. It's got so bad they are pulling out the grass
leaving patches about an inch or two wide all over the lawn. Perhaps
more so at the area of lawn nearest to the house

It has happened very sporadically in the past but nothing as bad as
now. I have about 50 patches where they have continously pecked down
to the undersoil. The lawn is about 60ft by 30ft so any treatments
would need to factor that area into solutions

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Yes. Pour yourself a Pimms, and try to imagine what the sun would
look like.

They are after grubs and similar in the lawn, and there is a high
chance that the latter would have done more damage than the birds.
The UK is one of the few countries where lawns are a natural ecology,
so really all you have to do is to leave it to recover. Seriously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.