Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

BTW, Malva sylvestris is said to be Glyphosate-resistant.

It's also a bit big/upright for growing in lawns. Malva pucilla or M.
neglecta, maybe.

It survives in mown verges.

But not mown closely and regularly like a lawn.

That doesn't surprise me, it's certainly very difficult to get rid of.
It manages to survive on the lawn lying flat and at the other extreme
will grow into quite a sizeable bush. It seems to me that it's much
commoner nowadays than it used to be.

We have white ones growing locally.

Would that be the white(ish) with pink veins, or a genuine white? Also,
wild, feral or cultivated?

No, it would be pure white - snow white. But with cut leaves like the
musk mallow - Malva moschata variant heterophylla. I'll sniff one next
time I see one and see if it is M. moschata.

I don't know whether it's indigenous, feral or a cultivated plant. It's
not anything I've ever seen in a seed catalogue or a nursery.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/