Old 11-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Jim Carter

Default when to plant?

On 11 Feb 2003 08:41:16 -0800, (simy1) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Tomatoes are particularly sensitive to cold soil. The plants will
still be good, but you won't see tomatoes until september. What you
can do is lay plastic (clear or black) on the bed for a month before
transplanting.

Thank-you to everone who replied to my query. Yes, I live where we have a short
growing season, although temperatures can reach well above 90°F when summer is
at its peak. I am near Ottawa, Canada and my zones should be in my signature
line. The US and Canada use different scales for their zones; the US zone shown
is the equivalent of the Canadian zone.

I am just contemplating our weather forecast for today and find myself wishing I
were "down south". sigh

Temperatures are in celsius: -15°C is about 5F and -34C is about -30F (done in
my head).

Today..Increasing cloudiness. High minus 15. Cold wind chill minus
34.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a