Old 09-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Fritz Oppliger

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 07:09:57 -0700, Treedweller
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:07:06 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

I have some trees with very prominent roots, which are getting battered
by the folks who mow the lawn. I know, from reading here that I can't
just pile mulch or dirt on top of them, but can I build up the area
between them a bit to lessen the impact of the mowers? These areas seem
to have become more sunken over the years.

Thanks,

I agree you should mulch the area to 3" deep. This is not the same as
adding soil, which should be avoided. The critical factor is that the
mulch does not cover the primary trunk flares at the base of the tree.
This part of the tree needs to be able to breathe and dry out between
waterings. If the flares are already buried, carefully excavate the
excess soil until you expose them. If this results in a large pit or
bowl around the tree, you may need to add a trench running outward
from the downhill side of the hole (be careful not to cut any roots
larger than, say 2" in diameter) and line it with gravel and maybe PVC
pipe to allow for drainage. The do your best to mulch without
re-burying the flares.

Good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236

I'd simply mulch with coarse wood chips up to the level required. And
don't water there.

--
Fritz Oppliger