Old 09-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Jean B.

David Bockman wrote:

"Jean B." wrote in :

I have some trees with very prominent roots, which are getting battered
by the folks who mow the lawn. I know, from reading here that I can't
just pile mulch or dirt on top of them, but can I build up the area
between them a bit to lessen the impact of the mowers? These areas seem
to have become more sunken over the years.

Thanks,

Hi Jean,

My experience has been it's a perpetual battle. Trees such as silver maple
and red oak seem to love to surface large buttressing roots everywhere.
Unless the surfacing is the result of a drastic and quick loss of topsoil
(through flooding, for example) the most you can do is add a couple of
inches of fluffy compost and overseed, or plant in groundcover so that the
turf guys won't mow there.

Thanks, David. My ultimate plan is to have ground cover around these
trees. I did start that around a tree that they seemed not to be mowing
there, and it got whacked! I need to set up more no-mow zones, I think.

--
Jean B.