Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Jean B.

Stephen Henning wrote:

There is mulch and there is mulch. A long lasting loose mulch will
allow air and water to circulate, keep the roots cool, and prevent weeds
from growing, all attributes of a good mulch. On the other hand, a bad
mulch will mat down and block air and water flow. Some good mulches are
bark (especially bark nuggets), stones in the shade (not in the sun),
and other long lasting organic materials. Poor mulches are things that
degrade such as sawdust, grass clippings, and other materials that
degrade and form a slime layer.

Well, I don't consider those things to be mulch--except for leaving
grass clippings on the ground. I tend to use pine bark mulch. If my
lawn folks ever get in gear, they are supposed to be bringing some very
dark, organic mulch.............

--
Jean B.