Old 08-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Zizz

Default Xanthoceras - a rarity?

"Michael Savage" wrote in message
.. .
"CK" wrote in message
If you would give us a description of your plant, we might be able to

help
identify
if it is indeed Xanthoceras of something else....
Chris in Somerset

Michael Savage wrote in message
.. .
| Hi all
|
| I have tentatively identified (from RHS book and Google) one of the

shrubs
| in the garden as Xanthoceras sorbifolium. The RHS book says it is rare

in
| gardens...two questions really - are there any obvious things I could

be
| confusing it with, and is it really that unusual ? One reason for

asking
is
| that it's growing against/among a rhody and if they were two a penny I

might
| thinking of pulling it out. Interesting bark though...
|
| Michael S

OOPS!

The shrub is about 2m tall with many more or less erect stems, with rough
grey bark (popular with lichens). It has pinnate leaves, very like Rowan
(toothed leaflets), and white flowers about 5cm across (IIRC) with
yellow-brown blotches in the centre, in clusters/spikes. Flowered in about
June/July I think.

Sorry but I didn't take any snaps of it in flower and don't have a website
to post one on anyway...(yet)

Michael S

ps is there somewhere newsgroup abbreviations are listed? I can work out
most of them but some have me stumped - and I'm a Guardian crossword fan

http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylo...WNewgroupAbbre
viations.html
http://www.unbsj.ca/library/research/lingo4.htm
http://bovis.gyuvet.ch/3dict/390ainet.htm
Are a few sites I found in a quick search on google for some abbreviations,
acronyms, smileys etc!
HTH
I'll be learning a few more methinks ;-)