Old 09-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
I have found soaker hoses more effective than sprinkling in my area,
which is in the midst of a drought. I can't do the entire lawn this way, but I concentrate on the
yellow areas. I am barely keeping up with the hot sun and lack of
rainfall, hoping for a change in the weather.

Our drought here in Chicago this year is supposed to be the worst ever
since they have been keeping records. It's worse than 1988, the last
real bad Midwest drought. As far as I know, it's useless and a waste of
water to try and keep grass green. Let it go yellow and keep the trees
watered. The grass will come back but a tree won't if it dies and the
young trees are most vulnerable now. I was out in the suburbs last
weekend and found the yellow lawns rather attractive, indicating just how
bad of a drought we're in. Another side benefit of a yellow lawn is that
you don't have to cut it very often if at all. When I see a lush green
lawn under these circumstances I see someone who wastes water, a consumer
that has a me me attitude with little regard for the rest of society that
they live in. Considering that we may not get another drop of rain for
the rest of the year, suburban water reservoirs are going to get real
low.

Right now I'm looking at a Honey Locust in the parkway that is turning
color due to lack of water. I think it will survive since it's over 30'
high so a good drought like this may toughen it up in subsequent years.
The newly planted trees on the other hand will need help to get through
this summer.