Old 09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Dave

Al Reid wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
wrote:
I put up 36 inch fencing with 1 inch holes, hoping to keep out rabbits
and chipmunks. The rabbits can't get in and maybe not the squirrels
but the chipmunks elongate their bodies and go right through.

If I put up screening, will they dig under it?

I read a few threads above that talked about shooting the things but
I'd rather not have any kind of gun or rifle. I think the chipmunks
travel in twos. What are my alternatives? If I spray Sevin, will that
keep them away. I tried crushed red pepper flakes but they jump right
over them now.

Alan

They could burrow under or climb over. I started trapping them in a
live trap (metal screen box trap) and carrying them a few blocks away
to a wooded area. I caught eight of them in about two weeks without
moving the trap. The trap doesn't need to be baited -- I suppose they
follow each others scent trails to the trap.

Are you sure you didn't trap the same one eight times?g

Actually I caught eight chipmunks and then I caught a mink, which I
released. The trap was never baited. Since then I have not caught
anything. Either the mink has been keeping the chipmunk population down
or the smell of the mink has been repelling the chipmunks.