Old 09-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Teleman" contains these words:

About six weeks ago, a gardener friend of mine gave me 2 tomato seedlings.
The next day, i got called upon at work to go abroad for a time, so i
never had the time to pot them on.
When i returned i repotted the plants into bigger pots and watered them.
While they never died, they aren't exactly flourishing either, so i
thought it best to take a look at what was happening, and lifted them.
I saw that the roots were in a ball - all growing anywhere but the right
place.
How i remedied this was to wash all the soil away from the rootball and
THEN repot them again.
Was this the right course of action, or will i now lose them?
Its early days i know, as i just did this about an hour ago, but any advice
would be gratefully recieved.

They should be OK as long as you've got plenty of contact between root
filaments and soil.

One other thing is i have never fed these, as i dont like using chemicals
on stuff. Is there any organic feed i8 could buy?

Make it. Get a bucket and keep feeding nettles into it until it's
packed, then top it up with water. Leave it in a sunny spot and in a
week or so you should have some highly smelly liquid which tomatoes
love. Dilute it to a straw colour - it's much too strong when it's neat.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/