Old 09-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Mike Lyle

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
No, it would be pure white - snow white. But with cut leaves like

the
musk mallow - Malva moschata variant heterophylla. I'll sniff one
next time I see one and see if it is M. moschata.

Another alternative would be Malva alcea 'Alba'. There's also the
hybrid Malva x intermedia (alcea x moschata), and allegedly a

hybrid
Malva x inodora (moschata x sylvestris).

At least some plants of Malva sylvestris are scented.

I don't know whether it's indigenous, feral or a cultivated plant.
It's not anything I've ever seen in a seed catalogue or a nursery.

There used to be a profuse colony of white-flowered musk mallow in
West Wales. When I wrote, in a column I used to do, sarcastically
congratulating the Council on wiping them out, there were several
complaints.

--
Mike.