Old 09-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

No, it would be pure white - snow white. But with cut leaves like the
musk mallow - Malva moschata variant heterophylla. I'll sniff one next
time I see one and see if it is M. moschata.

I don't know whether it's indigenous, feral or a cultivated plant. It's
not anything I've ever seen in a seed catalogue or a nursery.

I once bought a packet of M moschata seed, and they were mixed, some
pink, some white. I encourage the white ones.

Malva moschata f. alba seems to be the commonest form in cultivation. I
grow two strains (differing in style colour) of this, plus a number of
forms of the pink. There's also f. rubra, which I assume approaches red,
and at least one web site says that there's also lavender and 'blue'
forms.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley